Friday, August 14

The Dinner Cruise



Maybe times past, I wouldn't mind,
But I've seen films since then--
Whole two-hour, feature films--
Where every frame was a giant,
HD testament: you could
Count hairs, or tell
If the actress wore contacts.
I mean, it was awkward.
So then why are you,
With your one (1!) printed frame:
A one-frame film, tangibly displayed
For Metro riders, we cogs of commerce--
Why is your resolution so dim?
The image itself, of course, inspires.
Broad, inviting logo; a woman 
On the deck of a river-bound dinner barge;
It is evening in the flowing valley
Between two Mediterranean hills.
Tables are set with candles
And fine china: you can almost
Smell the roast lamb and wine.
All this as I'm looking for the exit;
National Archives, 7th and Indiana 
Sort of. It's for a meeting. I'm not
A regular. And this image--this
Tawdry advertisement, this pixelated homage,
This promise of escape--I found caged
In smeared definition, the embodiment
Of mortality.



August 2015
In town for a meeting; 2 hours early. Sitting at a Starbucks murdering time.

No comments:

Post a Comment