Friday, November 14

Getting out

The thing about writing is that you have to do stuff in order to have stuff to write about.  At least that's the concept.  And the truth is, I don't do much now.  I get the impression that I spend most of my time in a fluorescent cubicle hell, or driving a mundane car down a monotonous highway, or watching stale TV on my couch.  I grimly diagnose my life as early-onset humdrum.

That said, I actually do move around a lot, considering I'm a human slug choking on apathy.  I work for 8 hours each day and do a lot of reading and talking while there.  My commute is complicated and can contain some curious interactions with other drivers.  I play with my son for a bit in the evenings, and read books aloud to him for almost an hour each night.  And while Gina & I do watch TV habitually, in my spare time I also design board games, write poetry, read the whole internet, and chop firewood.  So I do stuff--I move around and stuff--and that's just on normal days.  I also host a lot of dinners and go to some kinda high-brow parties and play music on the weekends and generally keep quite busy.

But the thing is, I discredit a lot of my life as boring--because it's repetitive.  I-95 is, let's face it, always different but never notable.  Work is just work; any American will tell you that.  My son doesn't do much that's noteworthy, owing to being 3 months old.  I could talk about my hobbies, but that's just sad.  The parties and hosting and all of that--really just a fairly normal social life.  Nothing unusual.

What's amazing to me here is that my life has always been boring in this perspective.  Always.  I never was the most fascinating person, I never lived the most interesting life.  I went to school, and had some friends, and we talked about theology and video games and ate 5-in-the-morning Waffle House breakfasts after staying up all night laughing about things I can't remember.  And after school, I played in bands, I guess--but that was always more fuss than glamor.  Find a place to practice, play the same songs four hundred times, set up shows and bring the equipment--then two hours of stage time, but honestly if you have to pee halfway through it's not that great.  I guess I went to internships and conferences in DC and New York--but mostly, really, they were indoor PowerPoint presentations.  I didn't do anything interesting in the evenings.

But somehow, I had stuff to write about.  I wrung meaning from sidewalk strangers.  I turned over thoughts from overheard conversations and table talk.  I shouldn't have been interesting--but, inevitably, when I look back at what I wrote, I'm interested.

So then: does writing assign value to otherwise awfully mundane streaks of time?  Or were my conversations, my experiences, more interesting in years past?  Is a life, observed, simply more interesting than the same life, just lived?

No comments:

Post a Comment