Sunday, November 8

introductions

(to be spoken)

i am Not
a speaker
i'm a reader, i'm a writer
i'm a listener and a healer
but i am Not
a speaker, nor reciter
it's not my place, not my pace
not me.
However--
how else am i to commune
with you, when i have words
and all you've got is time?
how are we
to share holiness, experience unless
communicated--Christ used
cheap crackers and wine--
and it's still real, it's still communion.
so too i will speak,
though i'm no speaker if
you, my hearers, listen.




November '09

I played a show with Peace at which every other artist was performing the spoken word, and realized most people read their poetry aloud.  I don't.  I don't really fathom anyone reading my poetry aloud: it's written to be read with a cigarette and a glass of scotch.  But I'm interested in getting out more, and I'm interested in all facets of poetic expression, so--this is my excuse for being so disappointingly flat when read aloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment